Friday, August 28, 2026

The Suffocating Grip of Regret: Syd's Reflection on Kwaidan’s "The Black Hair"

 
 
I recently sat down to watch the 1964 Japanese horror anthology "Kwaidan" and found myself completely dismantled by the first segment titled "The Black Hair." The story serves as a devastating reflection for anyone who has ever had to leave the people they love behind to escape the suffocating grip of poverty while chasing hollow ambitions that ultimately mean nothing. The narrative strikes at the core of what happens when you abandon your heart for survival and attempt to revisit a past that has already calcified into tragedy.
 
This theme struck a deeply personal chord because it forced me to confront a past relationship I had to walk away from. At the absolute heart of my reaction to this film is how I constantly think about and miss my former partner, Ed. I carry a strong and enduring sense of guilt and abandonment when I look back at my journey out of rural Florida. I refer to him as my 'country bumpkin' nowadays. Despite his ornery nature, he was ultimately the best lover I had ever known. Much like the samurai reflecting on the memory of his first wife, Ed knew exactly how to keep me happy despite the profound setbacks of our livelihood at the time. There was a unique comfort in his presence that grounded me when everything else felt uncertain. Yet I had to leave him behind when I moved away, and I have spent so much time wishing I could have taken him with me if circumstances had just been different.
 
Although the original folklore is not inherently queer, I found myself intimately relating to the emotional spectrum of both characters because their pain feels so deeply universal. I felt the agonizing emotional betrayal of the wife just as intensely as I carried the devastation, guilt, and sorrow of the samurai. His desperate need to return to the warmth he discarded mirrors my exact longing to reclaim a love that was sacrificed on the altar of necessity.
 

The psychological tension of the film peaks during the nighttime reunion sequence, which is so beautifully crafted that you desperately want it to be real. Before we ever reach the horror of the decaying samurai the next morning, we are treated to a reunion where every word spoken feels like deep mesmeric poetry. He begs for forgiveness and swears he will never leave her again while she gently tells him that she has been waiting for him and needs nothing else now that he is finally home. The amount of love devotion and emotion they had for each other really crafts the center fold of this story. It is almost like the words I wish I could have spoken with Ed, although our words would have been more blissfully dumb compliments and making each other laugh during lovemaking sessions rather than cosmic poetry.
 
I also think the sequences where the samurai is being scolded by his second wife who is quite an unsavory character and is eerily intended to be so reminds me of all the scolding I get from not only my bosses at work, but perhaps the amount of insecurity I feel in my current environment while I dwell on the past. It is almost like a manifestation of all the projections my friends see me subject myself to because of my longing for the past. When you leave a piece of your heart behind for the sake of surviving, the empty space it leaves inside you becomes a ghost of its own.
 
The Samurai did not understand the value of love. 

I found myself bargaining with the narrative while holding onto the illusion of that reunion just as tightly as he did. But the entire time they were talking, a creeping dread was building in the back of my mind because I kept thinking there is no way she has not aged a single day while letting the house go to hell like this. I must admit that in the very first scene where the samurai had a beard, I actually thought he was kind of cute, and that initial attraction only makes what happens to him later all the more disturbing.
 
When he wakes up the next morning and finds that he is lying next to the rotting skeleton of his wife, the reality of what he has now irrevocably lost comes back to haunt him tenfold. The visceral shock and visual distortion of her skeletal visage shatters the fantasy and leaves only the horrifying truth of his own abandonment. As the climax unfolds and the samurai begins to rapidly age into a decrepit state while trying to flee the ruined house, the film taps brilliantly into the traditional lore of the yūrei. In Japanese mythology, sharing a bed with a lingering and sorrowful spirit will literally drain a mortal of their life force.
 
As a person who is heavily driven by my own emotions, this concept carries an immense amount of weight for me. His skin crumbles and his hair falls out because he is trapped in the prison of a past he chose to leave behind, and he cannot escape the supernatural presence of the black hair because it is the literal manifestation of his own inescapable regret eating him alive from the inside out.
 
 
 
When I think about actual death and the physical reality of what remains, Bobo's grave hidden under the ground down in Florida immediately comes to mind. He was my comfort animal and spiritual companion for thirteen beautiful years, and I just remember how cute and adorable and unimaginably sweet he was. I poured so much love into taking care of him, and he was always right there at my side through everything. I miss him terribly.
 
He rests in the backyard of our family home, and I often find myself wishing I had some more ethical say in the handling of his remains. It breaks my heart to realize that no matter what happens in the future with that property, my dog is forever a part of that earth. His physical presence will remain anchored in that soil long after me and my family either move away or disintegrate over the passage of time. The thought of him resting there alone brings a profound ache to my chest because he deserved the world, and leaving his resting place behind feels like another heavy layer of abandonment.
 
That sense of inescapable guilt stretches far beyond romantic love or the loss of a beloved pet because it bleeds heavily into the familial ties that we are forced to sever when we try to build a better life. My family is nowhere near perfect, and they have a lot of issues and mistakes in their life. I was trying to fix them for so long growing up but I was there throughout my youth to the point where I did not know how to fix it let alone get myself in the right direction. So escapism was my go-to while I was there, and Ed was an escape. Bobo was my comfort animal, and my brother was like my kid who I took care of and encouraged. My parents are not perfect people but they are still my parents and I try to be there for them where I can. They are old and they are working constantly and they cannot retire or get on disability despite several health setbacks they have faced over the years, and they are also brainwashed by a certain orange president.
 
The reality that I cannot bring them up here with me carries a heavy and unspoken burden. This fear of abandonment and the lingering power of what we leave behind is exactly why I resonate so much with a specific moment early on when the samurai is trying to concentrate on firing his arrows. He only manages to loose them successfully when he focuses his mind entirely on the memory of his first wife. That scene made me think so intensely about my own successes and the fierce determination I carry into my own field because every milestone I reach and every hurdle I overcome is fueled by the memories of what I held most important before my life changed so drastically. He aged into the ruined and decayed state his soul was already in, proving that you can never truly leave your ghosts behind.

Featured Post

Syd's Notes on Gargoyles Season 2, Episode 18: "Upgrade" PART 2/2

 As depicted through the following Podcast Episode of The Loincloth Hour   Trigger Warning: A Bunch of Gay Sex Jokes Reader Discretion Advi...